Tom Brady becomes last player from 2000 draft with his team

Тема в разделе 'Группа CNC-Profi декабрь 13/01', создана пользователем linlybest, 26 фев 2018.

1. linlybest

linlybest Новичок

27 окт 2017
    The best of the best in the state athletic world were honored Wednesday night at the Multnomah Athletic Club, and it was a lot of fun.

It was the 36th annual Oregon Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony, adding Mike Hass, Maureen Murphy, Brad Smith, Greg Strobel and the University of Oregon 1994 football team to the ledger of enshrined greats.

Awards banquets can last forever, but Wednesday ceremony got in under two hours, thanks to short but reflective interviews conducted by Schonely with each of the recipients in lieu of acceptance speeches. That was appreciated by all.

I attended many of the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame banquets, and this one meant as much as any on a personal level because of the honorees.

I never met Murphy, the 1956 swimming Olympian, whom I found delightfully charming. But I fortunate enough to know Hass, the former Oregon State receiving great; Strobel, one of the best wrestlers in OSU history, and Smith, a legend in girls basketball coaching circles. And I know coach Rich Brooks and several of his players off the Ducks 1995 Rose Bowl team, including Josh Wilcox and Dino Philyaw.

Hass, 33, is one of the great make good stories in college football history. Despite a stellar career at Jesuit, he received no college scholarship offers. Hass walked on at Oregon State under Dennis Erickson, earned a scholarship and a starting nod under Mike Riley and cheap nfl jerseys became the nation premier receiver, winning the Biletnikoff Trophy as a senior in 2005.

Rodney Dangerfield had nothing on Mike Hass.

one would give me scholarship money to play college football in the entire country, Hass said Wednesday night. said, Let go for it. I going to see what I can do at Oregon State.

never got enough credit for my athletic ability. People just think it was hard work and studying. I had the athleticism, plus the instincts and the will to fight and never give up. It didn get me as far as I wanted to go, but it got me as far as I did.

Hass might be the best receiver never to catch a pass in the NFL. He spent time on practice squads for five seasons with New Orleans, Chicago and Seattle but never stuck.

Mike gone to the right team a team like New England he might still be playing, Riley told me last week.

His NFL coaches evidently thought the 6 1, 210 pound Hass wasn fast enough, though I Wholesale Football Jerseys saw him run past plenty of cornerbacks in the college ranks. Few could go up in a crowd and come up with the ball like he did. I seen all the great receivers at Oregon State Burke setting an NCAA receptions record with Terry Baker, little Steve Coury earning All America honors, speedy Brandin Cooks claiming the 2013 Biletnikoff Award. For my money, Hass was the best of the lot.

honor means a lot, said Hass, who now works as a development of football cleats with Nike. grew up in this state. I played football at Jesuit and Oregon State. To be given this award in my home state I just really grateful.

Murphy was a Portland girl who attended All Saints School and then Holy Child Academy as a high schooler. She was a national swim champion as a prep junior in 1955 and, a year later, finished fifth in the 200 backstroke at the Melbourne Olympics.

was magical, said Murphy, 77. a 17 year old girl just two months out of high school that was pretty darn good.

Murphy owned athletic genes. Her uncle, John Murphy, placed fifth in the high jump at the 1920 Antwerp Olympic Games.

had good discipline and a competitive spirit, she said. was fortunate. The timing was good for me going to the Olympics. It was a wonderful experience. I cherished every moment of it.

Wednesday night venue was special for Murphy, who competed for the MAC as well as the Aero Club as a youth. She had a ball, surrounded by several of her grade school and high school friends.

absolutely wonderful, said Murphy, who enjoyed a career as a teacher and salesperson for IBM and still works as a realtor. really thrilled.

Strobel is a Scappoose native who seemed pre destined to become a Beaver. His hero was Jess Lewis, the Olympic heavyweight and All America football tackle who preceded him at OSU.

Dale Thomas was a fantastic coach, Strobel said. the real reason I went to Oregon State was because of my teammates. I wanted to wrestle them in practice, not against them in meets. I was undefeated my last two years in college, but I got beat every week in the (practice) room. That tells you how tough those guys were.

Strobel was 124 6 during his OSU career, claiming NCAA championships at 190 pounds as a junior and senior and earning the NCAA meet outstanding wrestler trophy his last season in leading the Beavers to a runner up finish. I seen all of Oregon State greats wrestle. Lewis was the best, but Strobel is in the conversation for No. 2.

was just nfl shop smooth, like Kauffman and the other great ones, said Lewis, who attended Wednesday event. had toughness and smoothness, and that got him to the top.

Jim Pond was Wholesale China Jerseys an OSU assistant coach for 10 years, including Strobel time in Corvallis.

Said Pond: told him, keep doing what you doing. And if I ever try to tell you anything, just ignore me. He was that good. He just had the factor. Great attitude. He was a genius. I tried to tutor athletes in calculus. He was the first one I worked with who understood.

Strobel credits a combination of factors for his success.

had God given strength and ability the ability to move, the ability to fight, and inherent strength, said Strobel, 64, now an assistant athletic director at Lehigh University after a 31 year career as a coach. coupled with work ethic. I worked really hard at it.

spurs you on more than a loss. If you hate to lose and you lose a match you shouldn have, it ticks you off. My junior year in high school, I got beat in a match simply because I got tired. I vowed from that moment on to never get out conditioned again.

Поделиться этой страницей